Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
David Anderson

Default Winterizing in North Dakota

I am in Minot, North Dakota and was wondering the best way to prepare my
hybrid tea roses for the winter. I have heard that bone meal helps to
develop more cold hardy root systems and that letting the last roses of
summer fade on the plant and develop rose hips is also a good way to
prepare the plant. Should I mound the base with soil, tie up the branches,
and then insulate them with straw inside of a cage of some sort before the
first hard freeze?

I was going to winterize them last year, but my daughter was born just as
the first freeze of the year hit (along with a blizzard that dumped over a
foot of snow) while all the canes were still vigorous, healthy, and
producing flowers. It was the first weekend of October, and unfortunately
with a new daughter I didn't have time to get out after that to tend to
them. Fortunately it was a mild winter, but I hope to get them taken care
of properly before this next one hits. Any tips would be appreciated.

David

P.S. My Chicago Peace rose survived and came back, but seems to have almost
miniature leaves this year. It was supposed to be a plant with its own
root, so I would imagine I'm not seeing the plant from the original root
coming up after the graft died. Any ideas on what could cause that?