Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Daniel B. Martin

Default New bugs

Kira Dirlik wrote:
Everyone on vacations?

Too busy weeding!

Garden report: harvesting tomatoes, eggplant, squash, cucumbers,
peppers, basil.

Alberto's heavy rain provided needed soil moisture but seems to have
helped the pathogens which afflict tomato plants.

This year there are larger-than-ever numbers and varieties of insect
pests which feast on eggplant foliage.

A high wire fence keeps Bambi out of the garden. Any tomato or
cucumber vine which sends a branch through the fence gets "barbered".

A flock of Canada geese visit several times a day, feeding on grass and
the garden rejects which I toss over the fence. Sometimes they stick
their long necks through the fence and steal a ripe tomato!

This morning I saw a young and rather thin red fox searching for food.

Daniel B. Martin