Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
George Pontis

Default My own question about fluorescent lighting....

wrote:

Hi, I've been reading here for a while and now have a question. I have
a t12 25 or 40 watt shoplight fixture (48 inches) on one of mytanks,
is it true I can use t8 bulbs with it as well (I am assuming the t8
bulbs would be required to be 48 inches long and 25 or 40 watts in
power)? Please confirm - thanks all!

It depends on the ballast in the fixture. If it is an electronic
ballast then the T8 tubes will probably work just fine. The ballast
label may list combinations that will work with it. The old style,
heavy magnetic ballast will probably not strike the lamps reliably,
especially at low line voltage or colder temperatures. It would not
hurt to try.

As far as power ratings, the difference between a 32W T8 and a 40W T12
is insignificant. Some enthusiasts have found that they can overdrive
32W T8s to double the normal power with good results. If you would
consider replacing the ballast in the shoplight fixture then this might
be a good alternative. You can find more info by searching the web for
overdrive and flourescent.