Old 13-07-2006, 09:55 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Kira Dirlik

Default Pepper problems

However this year, something has gotten into my 19 pepper
plants (of 6 varieties). Starts on the lowest leaves.

It sounds more like a blight or a fungus then insects, so an insecticide
like Sevin isn't going to help. Maybe stem blight?

http://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/growings...ghtpepper.html

Steve

Thanks, but no, that isn't it. The stems look perfectly healthy, and
no weird stuff at the bases. And the really unique symtom is what
looks like "cooked" spots. These are especially apparent on the
underneath of the leaves... darker green, wet, "cooked" spots as
though boiling water had been splashed onto them. Gets the
bottommost leaves first and works up. I think it is the same as what
got my sunflowers in years past.
Confession: about 4 days ago I sprayed them all with Home and Garden
Raid! Since no flowers, much less any peppers, had formed yet, I
figured I wouldn't poison myself. I set it up for each in line thus:
spray can, pepper plant, cafeteria tray as barrier, other plants
behind. I made sure none got on plants that were totally edible like
dill, basil, kale, etc. AND I just saw now that new leaves have come
out the top looking good, and even some new sprouts at the joints
where former leaves had fallen off.
Last year I put some of my sunflower leaves that had this in between
some wax paper and pressed them. Weeks later I noticed little trails
coming from the leaves of something trying to escape, but invisible to
the eye. I wonder if I brought this into my garden on a purchased
jalapeno (others all were grown from seed). That plant just never
"was right".
Kira