Old 18-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Bob Bauer

Default Bye Bye Hansa (etc.)

Larry Blanchard said:

Bob, I'm confused. Are we talking about the Hansa that's a hybrid
rugosa? Or is there some other Hansa I'm not aware of?

You are correct it is the Hybrid Rugosa Hansa that we are talking
about.

Mine is the rugosa and you can't kill it with a stick. We call it "the
rosebush that ate Texas".

Well, maybe it is your climate. Maybe you have the absolutely perfect
climate for Hansa.

Many have said (and I who grow it myself agree) that it is a very
slow grower. .....And not much of a repeater. I heard this
information before I ever grew it, and I can confirm it to be true for
my climate. Maybe it needs more humidity or something.

Hey, roses respond to different climates in amazing ways! Many roses
are EXTREMELY climate variable.

take 'Queen Elizabeth', for example, a rose that is so great in other
climates that a new category of roses was invented just for IT. This
rose totally sucks in my climate. 2 feet tall.... just a few blooms
a year. First I thought it was the specific plant that I had, so I
planted another two...... same thing...... so I asked the other folks
at the Utah Rose Society and they said: "Yep, sure enough, 'Queen
Elizabeth' is a dog in our climate".

Another example is a lot of the David Austin hybrids. His English
catalogue lists sizes for many of them that are tiny compared to the
specimens I have seen growing here and in California.

Go figure.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/