Old 17-07-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Best way to diffuse CO2 into Aquarium?

Bill Stock wrote:
"Jim Conklin" wrote in message
k.net...
Folks I think I'm having a problem getting CO2 to diffuse into my
tank. My well water right out of the tap is very soft and acidic: about a
pH of 6.2, a KH of 80ppm and a GH of 75. (Perfect for Discus, which I
keep.) I have a small CO2 tank connected with silicon tubing. I put the
outlet tube into the inlet of my Rena Filstar canister filter. I give the
55 gallon tank about 12 hours of light with two 65 watt compact flourcent
bulbs. But I'm still troubled by 'black-green' algae and minimal plant
growth. I keep the water at 85F. I fertilize regularly with Trace and
Flourish and keep the Nitrate level at 20ppm.

I've tried all different types of plants and while they survive and
grow a bit, there is no growth such as I see in pictures of other
hobbyist's tanks. Any advise or suggestions on how to get the CO2 to stay
in the water or what I could be doing wrong is appreciated. From the
specifications above above I'd think the plants should be growing out of
the tank! Thanks for any help.

Jim,

What are your CO2 levels, ie. what is your PH level after adding CO2? Where
is your spraybar output? How are your Phosphate levels?

I have a 55 gallon tall with 2*96 and my plant growth is pretty good. My PH
is around 7.8ish in the tank and 6.8 with CO2. I run the CO2 into the
venturi input of my Penguin powerheads that I use for RUGF. The Ludwigia
and other plants grow like weeds at this CO2 level. I'm currently suffering
from a fair amount of GSA (Green Spot Algae), probably due to lack of
Nitrates. My Nitrates stay around 10 ppm naturally.

Bill, if you add 1/8 teaspoon 3x a week of KH2PO4 you will watch the
tank grow faster and not longer have that hard green spot algae.
a 50% weekly water change, Adding 1/4-1/2 teaspoon KNO3, 2-3x a week
and something like TMG 10mls 3x a week would address most any issues
you may have with growth. Mg is likely the only other item you might
need a tad more of(so adding say 1/4 teraspoon of that once a week
after the water change will take care of that along with the levels in
the tap and the TMG which has a little Mg/K as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com