Old 18-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Shiva

Default Bye Bye Hansa (etc.)

On 18 Mar 2003 22:35:30 GMT, (Unique Too) wrote:

What you really need is to get a direct internet connection, say
through AT&T or any other Internet Service Provider and then don't use
their proprietary connection software.

I recently got a cable modem, so I have the connection. I have Netscape, which
is very, very slow. And IE which crashes, I've tried upgrading, I tried delete
and reinstall. So what else? I'm open to suggestions.

Julie--if you have a cable modem that works, then you have a cable
connection, so you have a cable ISP. Neither Netscape nor Internet
Explorer should be slow--and if configured correctly, neither should
crash. You HAVE to have a real browser--which is what NS and IE are.
If you are still using that POS AOL "browser" you are defeating the
purpose of having a real ISP that does not hold you in a Disneyesque
Cocoon for Idiots. Call your cable ISP and ask how to configure your
newsreader--Netscape's or Internet Explorer's, the latter which is
Outlook Express. I use this though it is buggy. I LOVE IE--but have
had troubles with it in the past. What is your operating system? If
you are not running Windows 2000 or better (ME or XP) you need to
upgrade. The older OS's will conflict with newer versions of IE.

Your ISP comes with its own news server--call them and they will tell
you how to configure your reader. If you insist you cannot use
Netscape or IE, then do a Google (not an AOL!!) search on "Free Agent"
and download that newsreader. I am posting in it now. Once you
download it, your ISP tech people will walk you through configuring it
to use their news server. Any questions, email me.

You should connect directly to the internet, using your computer's
operating system.

For reading the newsgroups you will be best served by using
stand alone software applications, such as 'Agent'. Once you see how
the newsgroups were actually meant to work, you will be amazed at the
difference.

Tell me more.

Just trying to help.

And I'm listening.