Old 20-07-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Not much luck with plants in my 5 gal tank?

In article .com,
Todd K. wrote:
The tank flourescent light is on from around 8AM to 10 PM everyday,
which I guess is considered a lot of light. Water temp is around 78F
in winter and 84F in summer. Nitrate levels are consistently around 10
ppm. Tank has a small biowheel filter.

The poor thing is straving to death. It does have the barest
amount of nitrate needed (assuming you really have 10ppm,
hobby test kits are quite worthless really) and you *might*
have enough phosphate from the fishfood, but potassium? Iron?

You need to add (at least) these. Sea Chem makes them prepared
in bottles or you can make them yourself if you have access to the
chemicals from a hydroponics shop.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net