Old 19-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default getting hair algae, should I reduce KNO3?

I've been getting hair algae...less since I've started PMDD...but
nevertheless it's there. My nitrate tester kit sucks, the colors don't show
up right or compare at all...but I think I have over 10ppm of nitrates (A
little high?) Should I reduce KNO3? Or might it be something different.
(25-30ppm of C02, 2wpg, 50% weekly water changes, 12 neons, some cats and
otos...about 85% planted--fast growing hygros etc)

Here's my doses for my 15 gallon tank:

twice a week:
1/8 teaspoon of KNO3
1 rice grain's worth of KH2PO4 (still not sure exactly how much is a "rice
grain"s worth )
4mls of Trace mix

once a week after 50% water change
1/4 teaspoon of K2SO4