Old 25-07-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
TQ TQ is offline

Default Corn - when to harvest?

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Corn is ready to pick 21 days after the silk appears.

As Day 21 approaches, wrap your hand around the ear/s top with your thumb
pointed toward the base. The tip of the ear should feel full in your palm,
not pointy when it/s ripe.

From here on out, make sure your plants gets ~2" water / wk to ensure full
ears.

Kernels than do not crowd their neighbors make for the best quality sweet
corn. Two days past prime makes for big, starchy kernels.

I like to pick my corn 1st thing in the morning, while its still cool from
the night air.