Old 25-07-2006, 03:28 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Need help with identifcation - wild plant in NE Ohio

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Roger Whitehead wrote:
In article , Philip Wright
wrote:
CAP wrote:
Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).

Looks like "Lily of the Valley" or Convallaria.

Indeed. What's more you got one that grows sideways. What a rarity!

lol.

Note that it's not a native plant -- it's Eurasian in origin. It can
be a bit invasive if it finds a nice partly shaded area to choke
everything else out of. It spreads by underground structures -- in a
botany group I'm afraid to call them runners, since they might be
technically something else!

You may be referring to rhizomes. To me runners are aboveground
structures (stolons), but that might be division by a common language.

The distinction between rhizome and stolon seems not be completely cut
and dried, as I've found Sidalcea candida to produce one or the other.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley