Old 25-07-2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal Zootal is offline

Default Corn - when to harvest?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Matthew Reed wrote:
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll know
that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob

Um...not encouraging. Might have some around here. I'm working on a fence
(not that it will stop the racoons). Hopefully the construction between me
and the bushes will stop them, I'm at the edge of a small town. There is a
family of skunks that like to prowl around at night - I can tell when they
are in garden...peeeyyyeeewww, drifts right in the bedroom window. I
understand that skunk spray can be quite potent, but do the animals
themselves smell very strong?