Old 25-07-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.local.hertfordshire,uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones Neil Jones is offline

Default Unrecognised butterly

Sue wrote:

"John Burke" wrote
Sue wrote:
A Comma perhaps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_(butterfly)

Similar, but the profile of the wing was an arc, not in angular
sections as the Comma's. Also the speckles were uniform (and all of a
same dark colour).

The combination of the vivid primary orange and the secondary (almost
black) dark markings made me wonder if signalled something nasty for a
predator.

Sounds like one of the fritillaries. Picture/info links here might help
identify it:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...ata/index.html

With dark specking on an orange background I'd say that is possible. A Wall
Brown is another possiblily but the colours are not that vivid.

The only fritillaries that are likely in Hertfordshire are Dark Green or
Silver Washed. The others used to be there but they have disappeared.

How big was it?

Like butterflies everywhere in the UK there has been a massive decline.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/