Old 26-07-2006, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Azalea problem

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:20:59 GMT, (Peter
Ashby) wrote:

Recently we bought a dwarf azalea to plant in a planter box out the
front. The day after planting it I noticed something curious, an
enlarged leaf with a silvery bloom on it looking like a tumour or the
result of some virus infection. The end of the leaf was grossly

swollen
and stiff. I removed it but since then I have spotted and removed

about
two dozen of these of various sizes doing some damage to the new

growth
in the process.

Do the panel have any suggestions as to what this may be and how best

counter it?

Peter

Azalea leaf gals. A fungus disease. Pick off the distorted leaves and
bin or burn them. Spray young growth with a copper fungicide, eg
bordeaux mixture or similar, or mancozeb. Dithane 459 (?number)
available in garden centres and is mancozeb under another name. But
you may not have much young growth at this time of year, so do it next
year for certain.

Camellias suffer from a similar fungus, but in their case the galls
are the size of apples! We had one on one of our camellias earlier
this year.

--
Chris

Just testing because a message I left for you failed. It was the Lea
Gall suggestion.