Old 27-07-2006, 10:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill jtill is offline

Default my rose don't bloom, and japanese beetles are eating my roses

Most climbers bloom on old wood and pruning is not recommended or at
least should be done on three year old canes so the two year old canes
can bloom for you. Remember, this years growth will be next years
bloom. We will need your plants' name to give exact bloom plans.
Joe T
Baytown

wrote:
Hi Maria,

I have a yellow climbing rose that I cannot get to bloom either.
Cutting your roses back in fall is great, it will actually help the
plant as it will produce more new and healthy shoots in the spring. If
your roses are not cut back they are also more prone to wind damage.
From what I have read there are some roses that are genetically "bad"

and will not flower...

What is the name of your yellow rose?
Joe T

As far as the Japanese beetles are concerned - they are pretty bad from
June - August. I think you should be able to spray again since two
weeks have already passed. I would not spray more than once/week or it
may damage the roses. I like some of the tips that
http://www.easyplantcare.com/ recommends for taking care of the
Japanese beetles, maybe you can try some of these alternatives for the
time in between sprayings.