Old 30-07-2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
EV[_1_] EV[_1_] is offline

Default Insects on Blackcurrant Bushes

M wrote:

I have insects on my blackcurrant bushes. There are flys, ants and eggs.
My question is are the ants eating the pests and therefore best left to get
on with it or would I be best to spray or to try to remove them. I am
trying to grow fruit organically so insecticide is a last resort.

The 'eggs' are probably aphids. The ants are tending the aphids which are sort
of like the cows of the ant colony. You can kill the aphids with an
inecticidal soap spray, such as Safer's. The ants will bring new aphids to the
currants once you've killed off their cows, so you'll have to spray for aphids
every few days or so, as needed.

Here in Zone 6A (southern ON) my black currants are coming in by the
bucketful. If your currants are ripening, it's not worth doing much more than
rubbing the aphids and ants off when you pick the currants. No biggie. Aphids
are a fact of life in the garden.

As for the flies ... do you have a compost, or garbage near by? The flies are
probably not a problem for the black currants. They tend to be attracted to
currants that have dropped and are rotting, or damaged ones on the bush.

EV