Old 31-07-2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mark Newcomb Mark Newcomb is offline

Default Why no pearling?

P.S. I do have some "lava rock" inside the aquariums, but have been told
several times that this will not cause PH changes.

Also, in the last hour my PH has dropped from 6.9 to 6.8. The CO2 is
disconnected.

"Mark Newcomb" wrote in message
I have a new tank (4 days old). The first 3 days I had lots and lots of
pearling on the leaves of my plants. As of this morning (about noon), this
has stopped.

Some facts:
size: 125 gallons - 72 long, 18 wide, 18 deep.
Plants: 100-125 gallon "easy habitat" package from arizona aquatic gardens
(nice package) - see it he http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_easy.php

KH 6.5 (This has been checked several times by myself and others)
co2: automatic system - PH set to 6.9 (confirmed with several tests by
myself and others)
water additives: chloromine remover (kent first step - added per
instructions on bottle)
seachem flourish (per instructions)
seachem trace minerals (per instructions)
substrate: 2.5 - 4 inches seachem flourite
Lighting: 6 * 96 watt compact flourescents (4 * 5500K + 2 * 6700K)
Filter: Fluval 405 - 2 compartments w/ activated charcoal, 2 with bio
media - intake on the filter is set deep in the tank, the output is about
2 inches below the top, which does cause some slight turbulence on the
top, but not a lot.

Basically, my CO2 hasn't come on all morning, my PH has been rock solid
stable. Does anyone have an idea if this is normal? Have my plants
stopped growing? Did I use up all the fertilizer? What happened?

Thanks in advance.

Mark