Old 01-08-2006, 08:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo[_1_] Jo[_1_] is offline

Default Sun- Dried veggies, was soggy, mushy tomatoes

jan wrote:
Jo wrote:

I have been using my dehydrator and making my own sundried tomatoes. Yummy.

Talk a bit about that. Are you (or anyone?) using the blast heat from
the sun to dy tomatoes or other vegetables?
If so, how think, how do you keep the bugs off while drying, what is
the screening material they dry on, etc?
Seems a shame to waste all that free solar energy scorching my back
deck these days. I've dried blueberies that way, but never cut veggies.
Thoughts?

I use the dehydrator and it keeps the house cool. I have done them in
the sun in the past, but I don't have an area set up for it. I used a
very fine screen and cheese cloth to keep the critters out. They would
look like skinny boxes, you might be able to get some silk screening
frame kits and convert them. It can take weeks to do, but it is worth
it. If you do it this way, if you see rain coming, bring them in.

I didn't have such a problem with as many bugs up north as I do here as
well as the high humidity, so I gave up on trying to dry things outside.

I love dried blueberries... yummy!

Jo