Old 04-08-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton Richard Sexton is offline

Default Diatom filters

In article .com,
wrote:
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a
planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

There's a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. The UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few
hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought
about
continual use in a planted tank..

Yeah it works ok. I haven't done it for a real long time but
a week or two.

The problem with green water is, if you've had it for a long time
the stuff settles everywhere even under rocks. You can filter it
all out, stirr stuff up and boom the tank is green again.

But, once you get rid of all of it and I mean really get
rid of it, it's gone.

But before you do this have you tried a 3 day blackout?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net