Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Pete[_2_] Pete[_2_] is offline

Default PMDD, Plantex CSM+B, Greg Watson et al..

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 01:23:39 +0000 (UTC), (Richard
Sexton) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Unlike your suggestion, I also do not need to do any water changes at
all. I add water for evaporation loss only and this goes on for 6-12
months before I do a good pruning and need to clean up and do a water
change. Fish health is excellent. No algae at all. Stays that way.

I subscribe to Tom's particular brand of heresy also. And it does indeed
work very well. No CO2, Add replacement water when it evaporates, and
add ferts (I only dose 2x a week) and the result is unbelievable.

Who knew defying 100 years of established aquarium lore and literature
was the right answer?

I've kept tropicals for 30+yrs. My current tank 54 x 18 x 24 was setup
20 yrs ago.
No CO2, 3 x 36X flouro's eheim 2217 filter, UGF's.
I used to do a 1/3 water change about once every 3 months, clean the
filter a couple of times a year and that was about it.

I bought a mixed selection of plants, most died, but those that liked
the conditions flourished, maintenence was almost non-existent and
the tank looked good if not spectacular.
These conditions lasted for nearly 20yrs, then the tank was hit by
'old tank syndrome' which led me to where I am today. And I have to
say that even though it's been expensive and quite a lot of work
(installing MH lights, removing UGF's, replacing gravel, adding
wet/dry filter, CO2), the early signs of using CO2 and Tom's EI
routine ar very impressive - even though I only switched the CO2 on on
1 Aug, cabomba and vallis have gone crazy, and the more demanding
plants that were previously just algae-hosts have got new leaves -
many thanks Tom!!

Best wishes
Pete