Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Nikki Casali Nikki Casali is offline

Default Bacterial Bloom and Anacharis

wrote:
Hello, in a 20g tank witha nasty bacterial bloom,

Unless it's cyanobacteria, I don't believe the light will encourage
non-photosynthetic bacteria to grow. Maybe you mean algae bloom?

I'd like to get
some anacharis in there. I like live plants, and I don't
have a very bright lighting system.

How many watts of lighting have you got there?

The problem is, currently
the lights are on for about 2 or 3 hours, due to the bacterial bloom.
So, I wanted to know how kcuh higher I would need to knock up the time
the lights are so the anacharis will live.

If it's a low lighting, non-CO2 injected tank, you'll need, I reckon, at
least 8-10 hours. Maybe other have grown it in less?

I however do not want the
anacharis turing into a weed, as I have heard they can with too much
lighting. Thanks in advance for help.

I don't believe there's any chance of it turning into a weed, unless
it's given the right conditions. Actually, turning into a "weed" may not
be a bad thing either, if you're NOT trying. It means there's copious
nutrients in the tank water, something you want to get rid of anyway.
It's easier to grab a few plants to chuck out than change buckets full
of water.

Nikki