Old 19-03-2003, 03:32 PM
jane taylor

Default Grape hyacinths

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:46:30 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

~"JennyC" wrote in news:b5919a$270aso$1@ID-
~91345.news.dfncis.de:
~
~ I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
~ flowering (indoors)
~
~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
~ them die down ??
~
~Whatever you prefer - unless you actually run the bulbs through a
~liquidiser they will cheerfully flower just the same next year!

I have a very stony and chalky rockery, and grape hyacinths don't
spread at all. Under a ceanothus bush, where there are some more, they
are not doing very well and I suspect they will die very soon. I
bought over a hundred bulbs last autumn to try and get a few more
going... so far all in pots, but as soon as I put them out I'll bet
anything they vanish yet again...

Then again I can't get bluebells to spread, either. About the only
things that do in my garden are welsh poppies, periwinkle (UGH!) and
primroses...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!