Old 10-08-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grass for shady areas

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:43:40 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

I live in North Central Texas and I want to find a grass that will grow
under several oak trees. I have tried several types, but what I've tried
either will not come up at all, or dies soon afterwards if I don't water
every day in the summer heat. One area gets a lot of foot traffic from the
neighborhood kids. The other areas get no traffic at all.

Any suggestions?

We have mondo grass growing in the shade and it has done well but it
won't take traffic. Red fescue is another choice. Most grasses need
some sun, if just an hour of dappled sunlight, to grow well.