Old 10-08-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Thomas Thomas is offline

Default preserving habaneros

You probably are aware that habs have a bad habit of rotting if not used
rather quickly. Oven drying will work if you dry them at a very low temp
for a long time, however the downside is the smell and eye irritant issues
in the house. I've had very good luck in the past when I smoked them dry.
I cut off the tops and removed the seeds and membranes with some long
kitchen tweezers. I highly recommend using gloves to do this. If you
don't, you will invariably touch around your eyes (or more sensitive body
parts *wink*) I promise you don't want to do that. I used a small backyard
smoker and I used charcoal for heat and mesquite wood for the smoke, but
hickory, pecan or apple wood would work.
Smoke them on a VERY low temp for a long time and check them often. You
will be able to tell when they are dry. I still use some that I have in a
spice jar which I smoked over 5 years ago.
good luck!
"frank megaweege" wrote in message
oups.com...
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks