Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default preserving habaneros

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

frank megaweege wrote:
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks

Freeze them. They will take up less room if you cut them up first
(large dice works well.) They will last for years in the freezer. Wear
rubber gloves when you chop them, and throw the gloves away.

Bob

Disposable latex and latex free gloves are available in the paint
section at Lowe's and other home improvement stores. They are cheap.

I use them for a LOT of kitchen work, including working with garlic
(when I'm crushing large amounts of it), slicing or processing hot
chilies, and mixing ground meats.

I made meatballs the other day and wore disposable latex gloves. It was
SO nice and tidy! :-)

I just hate getting grease all over my hands. ;-p

I also use them for doing any spray painting, or scrubbing items with
bleach or acid solutions. My hands are a lot happier. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson