Old 13-08-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default To Mulch or Not to Mulch

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:22:52 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Ron H" wrote in message
I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait
until the ground freezes.

WHY???

Persephone

(where the ground never freezes)

Where the ground DOES freeze, mulch can keep it from freezing quickly and
completely. That can cause expansion & contraction around plant roots, also
known as heaving. Not good for the plants. Once the ground freezes, you want
it to stay frozen until spring, rather than freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw.