Old 13-08-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default To Mulch or Not to Mulch

No, I would leave the mulch in place in spring and put down more as
you can determine the plants you want to keep and those which are
weeds. Over the season, the mulch will break down and the seeds will
drop again on a thin layer of mulch and germinate, flowering the
following year...that's the cycle.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:42:58 -0500, "Ron H"
wrote:

Well, the bed is almost entirely NEW plants that I hope will bloom next
year. They were started from seed this spring. I am guessing that I need to
much ( as you say LIGHTLY" and get the mulch off early in the spring! Right?

Ron H.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
Foxglove is a biennial plant and will flower on this years growth.
The plant flowers, throws seed, it germinates and those plantlets stay
over winter in the soil and bloom in spring. The plant which bloomed
this year will be dead. With that in mind, check around for any
germinated seeds on the soil and after the soil freezes, put down some
mulch, but lighty.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:46:28 -0500, "Ron H"
wrote:

I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin