Old 19-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Cass

Default Dying new growth

In article QQ2ea.140306$eG2.18014@sccrnsc03, Allegra
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
I just checked on the new roses
and found them covered with aphids !!!! What can I use that will
be gentle on the new growth? Besides water.

Hello again Rick,

Allegra here. BH and I were looking at your idea to make a greenhouse
and it sounds great. Let us know how it works, we may want to copy you.
Right now I only use the "stick them in the ground" and the hormone in
the gallon pot system to propagate, both of which have worked remarkably
well for me. But this is Oregon, what doesn't drown will flourish!

Aphids are certainly a pain, and other than Safer soap and big, nasty
showers with the dial on jet I know of no way to get rid of them. In the
old days when the children were little "squish, squash the aphids" got
them a couple of dollars for "working in the yard" but never got rid of
the entire population. There is something I have never tried so I cannot
vouch for its effectiveness and that is to mix together 1 garlic bulb,
1 small onion, 1 t cayenne pepper, 1 quart water. Steep one hour and
add 1 T liquid hand soap. Store in the refrigerator. Spray with it and
even the deer seems to dislike the taste. As I said I haven't tried it but
it doesn't take much to strain this into a spray bottle and go after the
pest.

What I hear is that the predatory critters that eat aphids lag a bit in
population, so they build up after you've gotten the major aphid bloom.
I know nothing besides washing them off, and I mean off, away, so the
little bugs can't get back up to the tender new growth.

Aphids don't like wind, so I don't have much of a problem here in the
coast.