Old 19-03-2003, 08:56 PM
torgo

Default still another batch of roses

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict. This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Kentucky Derby - grown by Nelson's Florida Roses, from a nursery off
of I-95. (The owner won't carry any roses but Nelson's, which are
grown nearby. He said "no matter who ships 'em, freight, UPS,
whatever, they come out lookin' like someone's played basketball with
them.")

Kentucky Derby - boxed ("Paramount Premium" , for those who enjoy a
good oxymoron), purchased locally last month in case I didn't find one
on last week's trip to FL.

Christian Dior - does anyone else here grow these? Or am I off my
rocker on this one?

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Spartan - a bagged rose rescued from a local store. During packaging,
its roots were almost completely lopped off, so I've dubbed it "Nearly
Rootless Nick".

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging. If Amnesty International ever takes on the packaged rose
industry, this could be their poster child. I planted her close to
Nearly Rootless Nick, so this miserable Blue Girl just had to be
nicknamed "Moaning Myrtle".

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.
Especially fragrant ones.

Double Delight - 3 gal container, grown by Nelson's, bought at a
nursery in Rockledge, FL during last week's trip. I love it already.
I want more.

Heritage - my first David Austin . (The Prince is definitely next on
my shopping list. Lilian Austin too, if I can find it.)

Pebble Beach - my first try at a ground cover rose. Anyone have any
favorites to recommend?

unknown mystery rose - a transplant from my mother's house. From her
description, I suspect it might be Tropicana.

Tropicana - from Weeks. Might help ID the rose from my mother.

Peace, Crimson Glory, Chicago Peace, Camelot, Montezuma, Oklahoma,
Chrysler Imperial, Europeana, and Christian Dior - the grand bagged
rose experiment. Purely on impulse on a cold and rainy night at the
hardware store, I decided these unwanted leftover 4-for-$10 Paramount
torture victims needed a home. I went there to replace a broken
screwdriver and came home with a trunk full of refugees.

Yep, I think I've got the disease....