Old 18-08-2006, 11:39 PM
tresco tresco is offline
Registered User

Location: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundbob
I have a gorgeous (un-named) pink rose in the garden, a deep sniff of which magically removes all stress from my brain. I've grown sweet peas for the first time this year and their scent has also been wonderful, you can't help but be happy smelling them. Not only that, but they were so easy when I was expecting fussy.

bob
Hi
Amost anything pleasantly scented would be good, but one of my favourites is lemon verbena, which has a wonderfully pure lemon scent, much better than lemon balm, which is a very coarse plant by comparison. Lots of mints are good, and as Bob has said, roses, especially the old fashioned shrub rose type or David Austin's English roses, have glorious scents to take away stress. And don't forget sight and sound - watching a beautiful graceful plant shimmering in a breeze can be very soothing - Japanese maples are good for this, or the taller grasses. What about touch? Certain plants just invite stroking, grasses again or cushion forming plants, such as the lower growing thymes.
Good luck
Deborah