Old 19-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Shiva

Default still another batch of roses

torgo wrote:

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict.

Hi! Welcome to the group!

This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Yep, I'd say you have all the signs! What was your first rose, just
curious?

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Don't know Duet, but do know Paul Zimmerman. Great guy, great nursery.
Where are you? I am in central NC.

Christian Dior - does anyone else here grow these? Or am I off my
rocker on this one?

It is a lovely rose. I have seen it in bloom. A velvety red as I recall. I
cannot recall if it is in the Mr. Lincoln/Chrysler Imperial line of red,
fragrant roses that are genetically related. I am digging out poor
cankered Mr. L. this week--the buds still thrill, with their perfect long
form and the scent is great--but the blooms are sloppy and floppy and the
plant is ten-12 feet tall here, all straight up.

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Papa Meilland was recommended to me by a very good rosarian. I think you
will love him and I want him!

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging.

This is not the way to start out with many of the lavender roses, which
seem to share a gene for wimpiness. Even with great beginnings as robust,
long-rooted bare roots and the best of care, they tend to be fussy. Blue
Girl, Sterling Silver, and my first rose, Lagerfeld are all that way.
HOWEVER--I ordered another such wimpy Diva this spring--called Blue Nile--
so go figure. The lavenders can be some of the most beautiful and also the
most fragrant hybrid teas. Trouble is, insects and fungus seem to like
them just as much in my garden as I do!

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.
Especially fragrant ones.

GREAT rose. I saw it early and opted for Mr. L. instead. One thing--try to
put it in a place that gets some afternoon shade. This black-red rose's
petals will burn in the summer, esp. if you are in FL or SC or somewhere
farther south than me.

Double Delight - 3 gal container, grown by Nelson's, bought at a
nursery in Rockledge, FL during last week's trip. I love it already.
I want more.

Many love this rose! Great fragrance, too! Good choice!

Heritage - my first David Austin . (The Prince is definitely next on
my shopping list. Lilian Austin too, if I can find it.)

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

You do! Welcome to the club!