Old 24-08-2006, 04:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is offline

Default Ornamec to kill tough stuff...Help !

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message
Thanks Eggs for the reply.

However...my problems don't seem to be as easy as you imply.

When do I treat Bermuda ?

Look up Acclaim Extra and Fusillade herbicides. Both are semi selective and
can be used to control bermuda in fescue. The typical treatment is to spray
the bermuda once a month with your herbicide of choice starting when the
Bermuda starts greening up in the spring, and continuing until the bermuda
goes dormant in the fall. Neither herbicide guarantees that it will be 100%
effective in controling bermuda, but you can get good results.

Alternately, bermuda is tough stuff, and you might just bite the bullet and
spot treat the bermuda until it dies, then re-seed the patches this fall.
Sure, it'll look bad for a couple of months, but the problem will be
resolved.

I would assume it has to be actively growing. That doesn't really happen
here until June and the plants are already mature...being many years old.
The stuff is very strong and actively growing when the fescue is usually
stressed. Should I spray in May ? What about Sept when the Fescue is
coming back strong and the Bermuda is slowing ?

Also, I have treated my crabgrass with pre-emerge before with success but
missed the window this spring. The stuff didn't really germinate in a
noticeable way until mid-July and by then it was so hot and dry that I
didn't dare spray. I waited 'til I got a cool stretch in mid Aug.

Can I try again when the weather cools with stronger or more frequent dose
or should I just give up until next year ?

With a fescue lawn, your best crabgrass control will be a pre-emergent
applied in the spring. Once the seed germinate, it is too late for
pre-emergent. If I was you, I'd just try and keep it cut frequently so it
doesn't produce seed this year. Next spring, apply the pre-emergent at the
appropriate time.