Old 20-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Michael Berridge

Default Grape hyacinths

Serendipity wrote in message

~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before

letting
~ them die down ??

If she really is your friend, I would advise against planting
muscari in the first place. I've been battling against a horde
of the d****d things for over ten years in my quite large gardens
and still they keep popping up

Pity really because they are a beautiful plant; but then that
can be said of almost every plant, couldn't it?...

Bluebells - now that I've got them under control - and Primroses

which aren't as yet responding to my almost daily chats, areprobably

my favourites.

I supposethat there's a moral there somwhere. No matter how
long one may garden, it's only rarely that perfection may be reached.

I am going to be doing a major throw out of muscari this year, they are,
as has been said so invasive, and they eventually get so thick that the
plants are very small and almost never flower. I removed about 100 bulbs
last year, and you can't really see where I have been. So its major dig
up time this year.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk