Old 24-08-2006, 05:49 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas Pete Thomas is offline

Default Baby goldfish - overwinter inside?

gardencottage wrote:
We have 2 goldfish and 2 shabumkins
We recently spotted babies - 2 orange and 3 black
They must be at least 2 months old and probably 1.5 inches long
Should we move the babies inside for overwintering?
Our pond is probably just over 1/2 metre deep and the larger goldfis
have survived a few winters now

1.5 inches is a good size, probably a fishy equivalent to teenagers
rather than babies or toddlers! I would leave them outside. If some die
and others survive that's survival of the fittest and you will end up
with better fish. As they are breeding you want the pond to end up with
the right balance of fish/water/vegetation, not artificially help the
weak fish and end up with overstocked pond.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk