Old 19-03-2003, 11:44 PM
dave weil

Default still another batch of roses

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:11:29 -0500 (EST), in rec.gardens.roses you
wrote:

torgo wrote:

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict.

Hi! Welcome to the group!

This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Yep, I'd say you have all the signs! What was your first rose, just
curious?

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Don't know Duet, but do know Paul Zimmerman. Great guy, great nursery.
Where are you? I am in central NC.

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

It is a lovely rose. I have seen it in bloom. A velvety red as I recall. I
cannot recall if it is in the Mr. Lincoln/Chrysler Imperial line of red,
fragrant roses that are genetically related. I am digging out poor
cankered Mr. L. this week--the buds still thrill, with their perfect long
form and the scent is great--but the blooms are sloppy and floppy and the
plant is ten-12 feet tall here, all straight up.

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Papa Meilland was recommended to me by a very good rosarian. I think you
will love him and I want him!

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

Here's the bloom (long-standing contributors to this NG can ignore
these redundancies):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...st%20Frost.jpg

This is actually a post-frost, November pic, believe it or not...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...11.14.2002.jpg

Here's another November shot (11.14 actually):

And here's a shot from earlier in the season (isn't *that* a
well-formed bloom - and the SCENT! - ps, it isn't *quite* that
brilliant a shade of scarlet, but it's close...)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/RedRose2.jpg

And finally, here's a luscious post-rain shot:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/RedRoseToday.jpg

snip

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

You do! Welcome to the club!

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...