Old 27-08-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default pruning first year rhubarb

NC writes
Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden
centre - there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were
about 12" long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second
year ?

I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
large leaves.

I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as
to ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to
spread and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some
stalks for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in
their own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth
of the root system ?

You should not be picking this late in the season a) because you need to
build up healthy crowns to generate good growth next year b) because
allegedly the oxalic levels in the stems increases later in the year,
and it is not particularly good for you.
--
Kay