Old 29-08-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nel[_1_] Nel[_1_] is offline

Default Tree roots under my lawn!

While walking on the grass in my bare feet at the weekend, I noticed a
bobbily bit under foot. On closer inspection I found it was a tree root
from a tree about 10-12 metres away, outside of the garden. I pulled it up
as much as I could, creating a rip right across the grass before it seemed
to go deeper forcing me to cut it - still about 2m inside the lawn.

Can these tree roots have any adverse effects on the lawn (hogging the water
etc.) and is there a best practice for getting rid of them?

TIA