Old 20-03-2003, 04:44 AM
JimS.

Default still another batch of roses

Torgo,
Boy, I can't believe how many of my little collection you have.....

"torgo" wrote in message
Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict. This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Kentucky Derby - grown by Nelson's Florida Roses, from a nursery off
of I-95.

Great red one. I bought a crappy Kentucky Derby my first year (Home Depot),
and even though she's down to only two canes from the bud union, they're
really big honkin' ones. Grows like a weed. Mine is pretty prone to
blackspot here in Seattle though.

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging. If Amnesty International ever takes on the packaged rose
industry, this could be their poster child. I planted her close to
Nearly Rootless Nick, so this miserable Blue Girl just had to be
nicknamed "Moaning Myrtle".

My Blue Girl ought to be named "Typhoid Mary". Probably the one rose I have
most prone to catch EVERYTHING, the little tramplette. Gotta really be
diligent with the spraying, but nice blooms when they're healthy.

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.

Especially fragrant ones.

I've got a thing for reds too.....Oklahoma is another one I bought a cruddy
one of from Home Depot, my 1st year. Healthier than Kentucky Derby for
me...but might be a candidate for orphaning to the city parking strip
nearby....my teeny yard's real estate is too valuable unless this one coughs
it up big time pretty soon.... Great red blooms though.

Tropicana - from Weeks. Might help ID the rose from my mother.

One of my favorites-- great, huge blooms. Almost no spotting either, love
the color.

Peace, Crimson Glory, Chicago Peace, Camelot, Montezuma, Oklahoma,
Chrysler Imperial, Europeana, and Christian Dior - the grand bagged
rose experiment.

Chrysler Imperial is new for me this year. I felt like it was one of those
Classics I just had to have. Looks good so far, but just getting
established. Europeana is probably my brightest red, love it. Seems to get
powdery mildew more than some of the others, and I wish it was more
prolific, but that might just be because of where I have it. You'll like
this one....

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

Yeah, looks that way....I think we all do....

Hey, if you really like reds, check out Taboo. Mine gets powdery mildew
sometimes, but if you keep on it, it's not too bad. Very strong grower,
mine's in a pot too. It's almost black, it's so dark, and very velvety.
Very cool.

Welcome to the obsession!

JimS.
Seattle