Old 31-08-2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default riding mower leaking gasoline

The gasoline line from the gas tank to the carburetor in my riding
mower has no shutoff valve. It is a carbureted engine.

This week I filled the tank in the riding mower. Later the same day, I
noticed a gasoline smell in the garage, and traced it down to the
mower. It was dripping gasoline out the exhaust! The engine hadn't
been run in more than a week. The gasoline level in the tank had
dropped about a quart!!

The only way I can figure that gasoline could get from the tank to the
exhaust is through the float valve in the carb. Do most inexpensive
carbureted riding mowers nowadays have a float valve in the carb and no
shutoff valve in the gas line??