Old 01-09-2006, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Pete[_2_] Pete[_2_] is offline

Default First time w/ plants. PMDD, DIY CO2, and lots of questions!

Hi Pete from another Pete :-)

I'm in the UK, and I'm starting to think about co2 for my 400ltr, so fire
away with the links.

Was it mail order ?

Peter

Hi Pete

I got my CO2 from BOC - they have outlets all over the UK.
I got a cylider that's about 36" tall, weighs 22Kg and contains 6.5Kg
CO2 - cost of rental for the cylinder is a little over £5/month or £50
per year.
Cost of a refill is about £12 and there's a £10 admin charge.
I guess a full cylinder will last me at least 1 year.
They will deliver, but there's extra cost.
Alternatively try a local soft drinks or beer supplier.

I got the regulator, solenoid, needle valve and reactor from UDA
http://www.uda.co.uk/
0845-1665634
There's a guy there by the name of Andrew who is knowledgable, helpful
and can talk for Britain.
I went for the Aqua Medic reactor 500 - but have found in my 360 litre
that this struggles, so I would suggest either an AM500 + AM500
extension (or possibly 2x AM500M - reactor with powerhead) or the
AM1000. There are many that suggest the CO2 mist method is the 'best'
way - I haven't got it so can't comment.
I went for the AM500M as a second reactor, but then realised that
there are costs involved with adding a 2nd reactor, namely that you'll
need a manifold and 2 more needle valves. If you speak with Andrew
he'll say that they sell plastic taps and T junctions that they use
for CO2 splitting into their tanks. I got these yesterday, cost about
£10. They're VERY fiddly to set up - I'm not happy with them and will
get some needle Valves and a metal T junction - another £50 !!
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ sells the needle valves, but they're
out of stock at the time of writing.
Aqua Essentials also sell all of the chemicals needed for PMDD or EI
(look for Dry Fertilizers link on the left)

I came across what appeared to be a very cheap pH controller from
http://www.monitors-direct.co.uk/
I had my doubts about a controller and probe for under £70,but I've
had it for a month now and so far I have been impressed.
The displayed value correlates with the results from my Hagen pH test,
and when I check the calibration weekly, it's only drifted by about
0.01pH
I don't know how long the gel probe will last - I'd guess at a year or
so, but replacements are widely availabe and monitors-direct sell
probes for about £13
To get the controller for under £70, you have to register at
http://www.reefcove.co.uk/forums/
Go to the Monitors-Direct forum there - the post is at the top.

Hope this helps,
Good luck
Pete