Old 03-09-2006, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] hicks@bigmailbox.net is offline

Default Cost of re-turfing a lawn

Mike wrote:
My concern is that we'll spend quite a bit of money correcting this,
and in a couple of years we'll get back to the same situation if the
soil starts breaking up and cracking. I think the garden currently has
very bad drainage. It's so bad that last winter we had a visible pool
of water around the middle of the garden. What are my options to
improve the drainage?

Where can it drain to?

Is your garden lower than the surrounding gardens and thus theirs drain into
yours?

Is your garden higher and you can drain the water off?

Two starter questions :-))

Mike

The garden does have a slight gradient from right to left. On the left
boundary of the garden there's a copse with numerous small trees. So in
theory, the water should drain off to that area. But I've noticed that
the ground gets very waterlogged, with visible standing water in times
of prolonged rain. I'm guessing this could be caused partly by the
grass condition being generally very poor, with a lot of clover and
other weeds in it. But the clay soil can't be helping?