Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Cass

Default still another batch of roses

In article g3dea.145948$L1.20297@sccrnsc02, Allegra
wrote:

"Cass" wrote
Guess who is the first to bloom this year? Safrano! (Well, Fortune's
Double Yellow is trying to open up too.) Talk about a rose slow to
build, Safrano is right at the top of the list. I bought this tiny
twiglet from Ralph Moore's place on January 11, 2000. Just now it is
about 30" tall and pulls buds out of the air like a magician. I love
buff roses and the old yolky yellow, the shades of Lady Hillingdon,
Danae, English Garden, Crepuscule, Buff Beauty (waiting for Regina to
claim her). I have pots of Golden Celebration, Celine Forestier,
Sunshine Sally (Poor little Sunshine Sally suffers from the yellow
curse [blackspot]), and Flutterbye waiting to join their yolky
sisters...just as soon as I excavate some new rose bunkers.

Hi darling,

Listen I have Crepuscle and she is not a yellow-yellow.

I agree completely. None of the roses I listed is yellow-yellow. I
think of them as golden.

There is something about
yellow roses and the implication in both the Spanish
and Italian folklore that they represent jealousy that
perhaps permeated my formative years or something.

That is interesting, something I never knew.

I love peaches, apricots,

So do I. And just as soon as I find one that doesn't succumb to rust
and that blooms non-stop, you'll be the first to know. The Brits have
produced dozens of apricoty roses within the past 5 years, and I sure
wish we could get our hands on them.

I love Ralph Moore
and I respect his magnum opus but there is something
about miniatures that makes me think they need fertilizer.
Never mind, let's don't go there. I have always thought
of them as *the barbies of roses*.

Oh oh. Quotable moment. I share your pain, sister.

I just think a rose is voluptuous and must flower with
abandonment, should bob sometimes on its neck out of
sheer sensuality and I like the almost vulgar abundance
of a bloom bursting forth with petals and fragrance.
Minis always look stilted to me. As if something happened
and they just never got "there".

Heh heh. They've been banned here. I refuse to think of a 10 foot rose
an a mini and hereby decree that it is not.

[concerning Persian yellow] We parted ways honorably. I gave her
away and never subjected myself to another.

Yet.

My refrain.