Old 12-09-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MB MB is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

I created quite a large pond last year - about 10 meters in diameter
holding a bit over 20,000 litres of water. My aim was to encourage as
much wildlife as possible into our garden, which I am pleased we seem
to have succeeded with.

I have noticed that we have accumulated a significant amount of sludge
/ blanket weed in the bottom of the pond - even after just one year. We
have no filters or water movement, as I wanted to create as natural an
environment as possible. For the same reason, I haven't introduced
fish.

Should I attempt to clear the sludge out? I am concerned that if I
leave it, over time, the amount of sludge will take over, but equally,
if I clear it, I may upset the balance of the pond. The water has
remained pretty clear, and the plants, in the main, are healthy.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Michael.