Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

, I, Marvo, say :

I created quite a large pond last year - about 10 meters in diameter
holding a bit over 20,000 litres of water. My aim was to encourage as
much wildlife as possible into our garden, which I am pleased we seem
to have succeeded with.

I have noticed that we have accumulated a significant amount of sludge
/ blanket weed in the bottom of the pond - even after just one year.
We have no filters or water movement, as I wanted to create as
natural an environment as possible. For the same reason, I haven't
introduced fish.

Should I attempt to clear the sludge out? I am concerned that if I
leave it, over time, the amount of sludge will take over, but equally,
if I clear it, I may upset the balance of the pond. The water has
remained pretty clear, and the plants, in the main, are healthy.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Unless you're very anti-fish, introduce a brace of sterlets into the pond
and wait. There are other pond-clearing fish but the sterlet's the best,
IMHO.