Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

, I, Marvo, say :

We do get an occasional visit from a heron - even though we have no
fish (I assume it likes tadpoles and frogs just as much). Along with
the problems of excrement, this was the main reason for avoiding the
fish - but this may be worth a go.

I bet you get kingfishers too, but you'd be lucky to see one ... I see many
because I live on a river, they are fantastic but travel at about Mach I,
all you see is a bright electric blue flash. I don't think herons eat frogs,
but I expect to be corrected.

I have been amazed at the amount of wildlife that has found its way to
the pond in such a short period of time. Masses of dragon & damsel fly
nymphs, newts, water boatmen and various aquatic snails. How did they
all get there so quick?!

Just dig a hole, fill it with water, and count to ten. I spent years
developing and redeveloping my pond, and learned nothing technical, just
what happens. I could sit there for hours watching it, which might explain
why I'm divorced :-)

I have in the back of my mind someone telling me that snails with
pointy shells are bad for the pond, and flat ones are good. Is there
any truth in this? Some of the pointy ones in my pond are over 2
inches in length!

I know not. I bought snails to start with, then realised that you don't need
to. Mine were flat though, and bottom snufflers. Some spend their time round
the sides and have to compete with the sterlets.

If you /do/ get fish, and even if you encourage frogs, make sure you keep
the eggs/spawn away from other fish/frogs/anything else by putting a
partition in with small holes (like chicken wire) otherwise the breeding
cycle gets rudely interrupted by lunching predators.