Old 14-09-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Walking stick cabbage

Martin wrote:
You could apply 12 coats of Epifanes Hard Wood Oil made for boats and
lasts almost forever. It's an all purpose varnish despite the name.
Polyurethane varnishes are used in boats too.

Ta. Didn't register the polyurethane as being a varnish. Silly me.
We've got a pot of hard wood oil somewhere I'm sure in the cellar. I'll
use that then. I searched for more info and found some pictures and
noticed that the bark on the canes is very much what I have now and
therefore I shouldn't peel anything ... and I came across some antiques
too. Some canes are sold up to 200 squids! Maybe there's a business in
there for me considering the 10 seeds I got cost me 2 quids .... ;o)