Old 15-09-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Solar Powered Pond Pumps

bruce wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
bruce wrote:

Yes, I've used LGs and they make good plug in pumps.

Not in the opinion of most. They make low end, short life-span, pumps.

It's been a while since I bought one, have they fallen that much in
quality?

What brand would you reccomend I check out should I decide to go
plug-in?

AC, you mean? OASE or Danner (Supreme) for submersibles. My personal
favourite was a Tsurumi - very efficient. Probably Sequence for an
external (I've always preferred submersibles).

As long as you're not loading the pond to the point where the fish rely
on the pump for aeration and filtration, that's fine.

Hopefully. Just some simple water plants and room for Guppies in the
summer to feed the wifes angel fish in the winter 8^(

LOL. That's the way to do it! Those will be some happy Angels.

Natural ponds don't have a dozen koi in 1000 gallons of water, either
(not to suggest you do, but people will do that...).

Yes! The ones I have seem usually turn sour real quick. It is my
opinion that if a pond requires a filter (and hence, maintenance), only
someone who is really into the pond and/or aquatic life in general will
take the time and effort to maintain the systems over the years.

Right. I've always tried to keep the fish load down. In the first place, I
don't want to need to feed them - if they have to be fed daily, it means I
can't go away for a weekend without making plans (with someone reliable
enough to not _overfeed_). Then, I don't mind running a veggie filter
where maintenance is essentially a matter of ripping out excess plants and
putting them in the composter, but I don't want to be spending hours every
week cleaning some synthetic filter material.
--
derek