Old 21-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Hussein M.

Default Hard water and Rhododendrons on London balcony

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:50:01 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrotc:

"Surya" wrote in message
Aa I cannot apply rainwater any advise would be welcome on reducing the
impact of hard tap water on my Rhodos, Azeleas etc. I can put on
Squestrone and tea from time to time but the regular watering is thro
an auto hose system. Are there filters or lime neutralising slow
release chemicals?
Thanks

A water softener should help, also try feeding the soil using Ferrous
Shulphate.

I have an small "acid bed" in a chalky area (a bed lined with
plastic sheet pierced for drainage and filled with appropriate
ericacious compost). I try and water it with rain water as the mains
water here is about 7.8. However my rainwater collection facilities
are not very voluminous and I was wondering if the addition of nitric
acid to the mains water as practised by hydroponic gardeners might be
a thought I could entertain.

I know it wouldn't have much effect on my normal soil with all its
built in PH buffers, but might it be a good idea to maintain the
acidity of ericaceous compost and counteract any alkalinity creeping
in from the surroundings? My Rhododendron is definitely sulking.

Hussein
Grow a little garden