Old 20-09-2006, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
ecarecar ecarecar is offline

Default MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD

Did you install it right?
Did you get all the old gasket off and put on a new one?
Did you tighten the bolts/nuts properly?

Do you know exactly from where the sound is coming?
Set it at idle and listen and FEEL around for the exhaust leak
-- feel around before the engine warms up or feel for the puff
of exhaust gases.

If the noise is that loud and not coming from the
exhaust system, don't worry it. The engine will destroy itself
within minutes anyway.

Artemis wrote:

wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to quiet my riding mower with a 10 hp
Tecumseh engine,It looks like a cheap muffler for what I know about
mufflers,I replaced it with the same model muffler,no change in the
noise,which told me my old muffler was ok,does anyone have any ideas
how I can quiet it.10hp murray riding mower with a Tecumseh engine.12yr
old mower,runs great otherwise.

You are fighting a loosing battle. A lot of the noise comes from the
intake and a lot just from the engine block. I've seen people go to
great trouble to mount auto mufflers to various equipment and it does
not make much difference. If it absolutely must be quieter, look for a
replacement Honda or Kawasaki engine. They are far quieter engines.