Old 21-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Cass

Default Burgundy Iceberg

In article .com.au,
Daniel Hanna wrote:

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture me
through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

I know. Here's a quote from the March 2003 issue of Gardening Australia:

"On June 1, Swane's Nurseries (www.swanes.com) will release 'Burgundy
Iceberg', first sported in Swane's own Dural rose garden in 2000. This
stunning new variety has been sent to leading growers around the world
for testing and looks set to be a home grown success story."

Swanes also introduced Blushing Pink and Brilliant Pink strains of
Iceberg in 1997 and 1999 respectively. All strains are said to have
"exceptional vigour, showy clusters of blooms, disease resistance and
constant flowering Australia-wide".

I often frequent the Swanes Dural rose garden north of Sydney - they
have display gardens of several hundred bushes, quite amazing.
International tourists come to see it.

Looks like the bare root price for a bush in its introduction this June
will be A$19.95 (US $11 approx). That's quite expensive. Swanes does
ship overseas but I think they charge an extra A$200 (US $110 or
thereabouts) to get through all the red tape.

Swanes' web site has a mention of it on their home page but the site
hasn't been opened for 2003 orders yet. You can order by phone though.

Last I heard, we can't import form Australia. This will be another one
we have to get through Canada...